Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Progress on Substitute Tales

Last you met these tapestries they were in a pile after cut off, the other side of the Donut Man warp.



No and Taller Than You in progress
 

Now here they are neat and tidy (and professionally photographed, thanks Radlund Photography). The question then becomes, what next?

Eggs for Papa, 6 x 8 inches

Make Me, 6 x 10 inches

No, 6 x 8 inches

Taller Than You, 6 x 8 inches


I'm fortunate to have the Goodman Community Center here in Madison, offering a variety of services including the Ballweg Gallery , a venue for Madison artists. I'm signed up for December 2017 for an initial showing of the work.

Yikes! I better get going...


preliminary work


Along with tapestries there are sketches, drawings, haiku, and even my journal where I made the notes after each day of substituting. I'll also need to write some explanation for viewers.

The first thing I'm working on is the presentation of the tapestries. Simplicity will be important with these distorted weavings; you want to make sure every zigzag and slit shows. Smaller traditionally woven pieces will need some frames made...

Looks like a busy couple months ahead.


4 comments:

  1. These are great, very expressive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Debbie, I'm happy to hear you feel that way. The stories behind each of these is quite powerful but I wanted it open to interpretation at the same time. Writing a haiku about each seems like a possibility that might work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are wonderful, Ruth. A haiku would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, I find they're the best way to get a thought down for me. Too many words don't work.

      Delete