Monday, October 5, 2015

Exposed Threads

Exposed, 12 x 12 inches






I'm always interested when I see a common thread - we're talking metaphorically here - in my work over time.
I've kept a journal for 25 years. Sometimes I flip through a few volumes and am amazed at the amount of repetition. I'm never sure if it's a good thing, but it is there.
Last week I discovered a recurrence while rooting through my basket: exposed threads.

Feather Hat, 3 x 9 inches


Some of my favorite tiny faces lately have had their warps hanging out. I was brought up as a rule follower, edges straight, ends tucked in. Lately I want to see them.



In the basket was this tiny piece on the right, grouped together here with two that I just cut off the loom. My basket piece was completed 17 years ago. I was taking a big chance then. The narrow edge on all these pieces is 3 1/2 inches.

Taking new risks, but continuing common threads. At least it's caught Porkchop's attention....


3 comments:

  1. I love all your little faces, Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I agree, love the loose warp ends as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both, now I have to let the three gals simmer for a bit while I decide how to mount them. I'm heading off to a wedge weave workshop this weekend - who knows what faces will emerge after that!

    ReplyDelete